My Road to Mindfulness 2

Today my mindfulness course told me that I should keep a journal about my path.
I dunno if there's a right and wrong way to do that but I've decided I'll just post whatever thoughts I have on it here. 
I'll even put a label on it.

What I like about mindfulness is that I don't feel completely head over heels about it. I don't think it's the answer to anything. I don't expect it to drastically improve my life. I won't be recommending it to anyone anytime soon either. 

And perhaps those things are already evidence of how mindfulness does have a positive thing going on for me. 

Last week I was introduced to this idea of having unconscious thoughts. My task for the week was to "identify them".  I wasn't sure what that meant exactly because I was driving I tried to think about the driving experience in itself... but... tbh, after 18 years of driving it doesn't really require much conscious thought. 

This made me wonder...are all unconscious thoughts bad?
And I still dunno because my course is online and, while there is a forum to post questions and such, I do not feel like doing that. 

or does it only refer to unconscious thoughts which damage us?
which in my case would be those related to unfair treatment to animals
because it does happen to me that I'm thinking about a particular instance of this for no apparent reason. I recognize it serves no purpose and yet...it continues happening. 

On the other hand

Is unconscious thought not the source of some of the most creative ideas and inventions? 
I get it that sometimes people solve a problem by thinking of possible solutions, nonetheless, I also believe that solutions can be found by following the distraction monkey.

From what I understand...part of being mindful is consciously deciding when you want to follow the distraction monkey and when you don't.